At First Baptist Church we have worship opportunities for all ages - worship for every generation. Because worship is not about us but about Him, our worship is Christ-centered and cross-focused. Everything we do is for God's glory.
• Sundays at 8:30 am – Traditional Worship Service
• Sundays at 11:00 am – Blended Worship Service
• Leads in 11:00 am worship services
• Rehearses Wednesday evenings 7:30-9:00 pm
• For all adults (high school and above)
• Presents special programs such as a Palm Sunday musical, Living Christmas Tree, Gaither Homecoming, Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, and Maundy Thursday Service
Early Service Choir
• Leads in 8:30 am worship services
• Rehearses Sunday mornings 8:00-8:30 am
• While this choir consists mostly of senior adults, the choir is open to all adults.
• Leads in 11:00 am worship services
• Vocals rehearse on Wednesday evenings 6:15-7:30 pm
• Band rehearses on Wednesday evenings 6:30-7:30 pm
• Vocal team is open to any vocalist (male or female) who has a passion for leading others in worship through contemporary music.
• The band is open to anyone with experience playing guitar (acoustic, electric, or bass), percussion, or keyboard.
Children's Music Ministry
• The purpose of the children's music ministry is threefold: worship education, spiritual growth, and musical education.
• Wee Musicians Choir: Ages 3-5, meeting Wednesdays, beginning at 6:15 pm
• First Kids ROCK: Grades 1-5, meeting Wednesdays, beginning at 6:15 pm with a children's worship rally
Youth Praise Band
• Leads in 11:00 am worship service at various times throughout the year
• Rehearses on Sundays 5:00-6:15 pm
• Open to all middle and high school students
• Plays at Jan-Jam, a community-wide youth praise band concert
Adult Handbell Choir
• Leads in 11:00 am worship services at various times throughout the year
• Attends State Adult Handbell Festival each spring
• Rehearses Tuesday evenings 5:15-6:15 pm
• For adults of all ages with basic music reading skills and previous musical experience
• Presents music at various times during the church year
• Rehearsals are scheduled as needed for preparation
• For instrumentalists of all ages and musical skill levels. Previous musical experience required.
• The Media Team includes Sound Tech and Projection Tech Teams.
• Sound Tech Team: Open to adults (high school and up) who are interested in technology, have a good ear for listening, and are willing to use their gifts in this area to aid our congregation in 8:30 and 11:00 worship services and other special services throughout the year. Training is provided.
• Projection Team: Open to adults (high school and up) who are interested in technology and are comfortable with computers. Our Projection Team uses EasyWorship and PowerPoint to aid our congregation in 11:00 worship services and other special services throughout the year. Training is provided.
Living Christmas Tree
• Living Christmas Tree Choir consists of adults (high school and up) from our church and community
• Choir rehearses Wednesday evenings at 7:30 beginning in August
• Presented as a gift to our community in seven worship services during the first weekend in December (Thursday-Monday)
• Reaches over 5,000 people each year with the message that God sent His Son to earth so that we can have a relationship with Him
• Day-long retreat in September for choir members
• Living Christmas Tree teams are essential to this ministry, and include Construction/Takedown, Can-Tree (canned food collection for Rowan Helping Ministries), Costumes, Decorations, Drama (speaking and non-speaking), Follow-Up, Food Services, Greenery, Lights, Prayer Support, Security, Sound, Stagehands, Ticket Distribution, Ushering
• Tickets are free, but a love offering is taken and a donation of one canned food item per ticket is requested. Tickets are distributed to the community in early November.
Music & Arts Camp
• An exciting week where children (Grades 1-6) in our community explore some of the many creative gifts and talents they've been given by God
• Camp is Monday through Thursday, 8:45 am-12:15 pm and Friday, 8:45 am-12:45 pm
• Campers present "Praise Night" on the Friday night of camp at 7:00 pm
• Cost is minimal (with a family cap), and includes programming fees, supplies, snacks, a field trip, and a camp t-shirt
Russ Robbins has served as minister of music at First Baptist since 2003. He is married to Angela, a talented musician in her own right, and is Papa to 3-year-old Ethan. The Robbins family takes seriously the admonition in James "to look after orphans" and is deeply committed to orphan ministry and adoption. Russ enjoys photography, playing racquetball, and watching tennis.